Monday, November 15, 2010

Principle 4: Leave Boldly

“I am convinced that it is not the fear of death, of our lives ending, that haunts our sleep so much as the fear … that as far as the world is concerned, we might as well never have lived.” ~Harold Kushner

"As we think about what it means to make decisions as if we had one month to live, the question remains: Is it possible to live in such a way that the impact of our lives is felt forever? I not only believe it's possible; I believe it's the kind of life we were made for. The Psalmist reveals how to live a life that outlasts you: 'Generation after generation stands in awe of your work; each one tells stories of your mighty acts.' (Psalm 145:4, MSG)." (OMTL, 182)

*What items represent an enduring legacy to you - a family home? your grandmother's ring? your family reputation? your favorite mountain? the ocean? something else?

"People are created in God's image as spiritual beings who will live for eternity, either with Him or apart from Him. If we invest in people's lives, then our legacy becomes like a giant oak, providing life for generations to come." (OMTL, 183)

*What did you do this last week that will last for the rest of this year? for ten years? for eternity? How much time did you spend this week reading God's Word compared to the time you spent reading the newspaper or watching television?

"Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start now and make a brand-new ending." ~ Carl Bard

This past Sunday evening during our discussion time, individuals shared ways that they were hoping were making an impact on the lives around them. The responses were incredible; not so much because they were grand or huge challenges. They were awesome because they had everything to do with sharing God's love with others in seemingly small ways - a smile to someone who looked troubled, a meaningful thank-you to a cashier, a card sent for encouragement, etc. The phrase "pay it forward" was used by one person. All agreed that one small act of kindness shown to one person can have a huge ripple effect on the lives of others as a result. Our actions, small or large, can motivate others to do great things for God. (Pastor Karen)

*What has made the greatest impact on you this past month? What do you plan to do as a result of this? Take steps to ensure that you go forward with your plans!

"In an age of unprecedented brokenness in the life of the individual and growing fractures in the human family, the practice of the Methodist way of Christian living holds great promise for a more faithful personal life and a more just and peaceful world. Could such a practical, simple, and yet radical Christianity flourish in our complex, changing, and confusing world? Only if it is tried!. . . Be bold enough to ask God to transform the world where you are. Begin every day in seeking God's direction and companionship, and end every day in offering anew all you have done and all that you are to the One who gives you life." (A Wesleyan Spiritual Reader, 194)

3 comments:

  1. I think we can all make an impact but I'm not so sure that our names will be remembered. I can't remember the name of neighbors I had 30 years ago! Andy Andrews says everything we do has an impact (either positive or negative). I know of several incidents when I chose to be gracious to someone or about something because someone had been gracious to me. I didn't especially feel gracious, but chose to act that way because another person's actions showed me a better way.

    The thing that impacted my life this past month was attending a cross country meet for the first time. Two of the grandchildren were running in races. Everyone stood and cheered for the front runners but the impact for me came when a few stayed and cheered and clapped for the end of the line, the last one to go by. One young man's goal for each race was just to finish. Tears came to my eyes as I clapped and cheered for him as he ran by. He finished that day. A group of girls finished the race then ran back to cheer on their teammate who was the last runner. I thought, some days my goal is to just finish the race and other days my job is to stand on the sidelines and cheer others to the finish. Another thing I learned was even if you have no chance of winning, you can always try to beat your personal best time.

    I decided I need to spend more time with my grandchildren and have taken steps to do so. I'm still sorting through some things I'd rather not do, but have to do. Finding ways to leave those things and move back to activities that will have an impact for my "great, greats" even if they don't know my name.
    Lin Tranter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to travel. I loathe dusting. All of my memories from events, adventures, experiences are remembered, relived and relished not from the physical mementos but by the emotional and spiritual, the intangible senses being rekindled. I savor my memories through delicious meals, hearty conversation, and a sense of filling myself up with the moment. Sometimes I will be walking through a department store a million miles away from any deep thought or feeling and a stranger will walk past. Her perfume will take me back to my grandmother's house, sitting on her kitchen table eating blueberries. All the emotion and love from that moment wells up within me and all it took was one tiny scent. I want to live like that, live so that when people are brought back to memories of me they feel warm, hopeful, and full.

    I know that we have all met these two kinds of people: the takers and the givers. Takers: the ones who, while we enjoy their company in small doses, it's work to be around them. The phone rings and you hesitate for just a moment before picking up, because you are going to be the voice of reason, the shoulder, the attentive ear. After leaving their company, you feel tired, like a great race has just been run. You feel a little sucked of energy and zapped of all your juices. On the other hand, there are the givers. Those true friends that can pick up right where you were no matter if it has been ten minutes since you last spoke or ten years. You feel renewed, energized, and joyful in their presence. I don't know what the magic ingredient is. I don't know if it is a nature or nuture situation, but I do strive to be the latter. Not in a doormat kind of way, but rather live my life so that when I am spoken of they say I lived well and I lived joyfully, and maybe in my small way, I encouraged others to do the same.
    Eileen Earnest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you, you've touched a part of what I think is real and good. It has been interesting to me recently to feel more connected especially to people. Somehow through or after my mother's death I have felt so much more that I "understand" her far more than I ever did while she was alive. Maybe it's our genes, but I feel there are many things that I can say, "I know why she did that!" It doesn't take my thinking as much as it is knowing I'm connected to her and feeling that connection.

    What I've really loved recently is seeing the same thing at action in others lives, especially children caring for an aging parent or a parent with a sick child. Watching the connection between the two, the sense of love and how it is expressed by different people in a variety of settings. My wish is that I can hold on to that. It is what I think the kingdom is more like, people cherishing the connections between them and others, connections that draw us together (I hope in Christ and God!) rather than tear us apart.

    ReplyDelete